Thorne Former Workhouse, Doncaster. Thorne Union Workhouse was erected in 1838 on a site at the west of Thorne at a cost of £3,315 and was to house up to 200 inmates. A casual block was erected to the east of the site and an infirmary to the west with a mortuary behind it. This is where they would keep the pigs. By the late 1920’s the workhouse could house around 111 inmates however the average occupancy would been around 80 people. By 1930 it could house up to 108 inmates including 29 males and 5 females in the casual wards. At this time it was deemed to be too small an establishment and was closed a few years later. In 1940 the workhouse became military billeting until 1944 then the local unit of the Sea Cadets had the front part of the house. The part used by the Sea Cadets now was the Social Club for C F Taylors (Wool spinners) based at Shipley, Yorkshire. A mill at the top of Brook Street was the Thorne branch – now closed. The club eventually closed and the Sea Cadets took it over. The building is now used by TS Gambia The Sea Cadet Corps (Unit 334). The main part of the Workhouse was demolished. The Infirmary part, now a residential home was used for some time as a factory for Childproof knitwear. Until the 1960’s a small brick built mortuary with a massive stone slab stood at the back of the infirmary. Most of the dead who had laid on it were burned in unmarked graves. The bell that was tolled to bring the residents back in at night no longer peels.
We look forward to seeing you there , Drinks and buffet supplied